Portland women founded a branch of the Federation of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs in 1920 and rented club rooms here until 1952. The rooms consisted of an assembly hall, reception room, and library. The club had nearly 700 members in the 1920s. Occupations represented were doctors, insurance agents, teachers, nurses, bookkeepers, stenographers, social workers, and proprietors of tea rooms, flower, gift, corset, millinery, and dressmaking shops. They met in their own building at 103-105 State Street from 1952 to 1973, when they sold the property. Lulu Bowman, who was single and a successful cook, restaurant operator, and owner of Bowman’s Cafe on Exchange Street from 1948-1958, was a founding member of the Business and Professional Women’s Club.