During the 1918 flu epidemic, Bishop Louis Walsh, leader of the Portland Catholic community, appealed for help. Marion Weeks, a Protestant daughter of a surgeon, responded by donating her Congress Street mansion to the Diocese of Portland for a hospital. The Sisters of Mercy, an order with 60 active nuns in Portland, mobilized to staff the hospital. Additional buildings were added. The Sisters operated the Training School for Nurses between 1920 and 1986 with Sister Mary Constance McCarron as its first superintendent. When Queen’s Hospital closed in 1945, it was converted to nurses’ residences. Today, it provides low-income housing in the city of Portland.
See also site S14.