The monastery was established by Sister Mary Genevieve (Bertha Rita Connell, d. 1974) with seven sisters in 1934. It is the home of the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood, a mission of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ. It is a cloistered contemplative order of nuns devoted to a life of prayer, founded in Quebec, Canada. The sisters support themselves by making and selling Mass cards and spiritual bouquets. Their beautiful, intimate chapel is open to the public during the day. From 1919 to 1934, the building was the site of King’s Academy, a school for girls and women taught by members of the Sisters of Mercy from St. Joseph’s Convent. Built in 1807, the house was originally the home of Prentiss Mellen, the first chief justice of Maine, and later of Senator William Pitt Fessenden.