The day nursery grew out of the Portland Baby Hygiene and Welfare Association, founded in 1916 by a group of women to distribute free milk for babies from a station at City Hall (site C08) and on India Street (site M17). The women expanded their plans and opened a day nursery in rented rooms until 1922, when Mrs. Franklin Payson and her son, Donald, gave the Association its present building. It was named for Catherine Morrill, an active volunteer at the nursery, who died at age 20. Another prominent woman connected with it and with progressive reforms in general in Maine was Hilda Ives. The nursery, a non-profit organization, continues its mission of serving low income families. Fees are set on a sliding scale.