Miss Martin’s School for Girls occupied the Storer Mansion from 1807 to 1817. Three Martin sisters, Penelope, Catherine, and Eliza, ran this boarding and day school at various Portland locations. When the Martin family fell into financial trouble, their father suggested that the sisters start a school to support the family. They taught the “useful and ornamental arts” to 700 young women over a period of 30 years. After leaving the High Street location, they bought a building on India Street, where they lived and taught a day school until they retired in 1834.