The Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary opened at this site in 1891. Although it treated only eye and ear disorders at first, it eventually expanded to become a general hospital. A Ladies’ Visiting Committee included Dr. Mary Alice Avery. Its first nursing class graduated in 1896, and two years later, the nursing program was extended from two to three years, and a nurses’ home was provided. The nursing program was run for many years by two sisters: Eleanor Campbell, superintendent, and Mary Campbell, assistant superintendent. The nursing school merged with Maine General School of Nursing in 1951 to form Maine Medical Center School of Nursing, but Holt Hall was used as the nurses’ residence. Maine Eye and Ear moved to Maine Medical in 1956. Dormant for nearly ten years, Holt Hall was redeveloped into apartments in 1997.