Founded in 1830 by Universalists as a seminary between 1925 and the early 1970s, Westbrook Junior College was a two-year college for women. It became coed in the early 1970s and merged with the University of New England in Biddeford in 1996, establishing its Portland campus. The Maine Women Writers Collection, an important special collection of literary, cultural and social history sources by and about Maine women, was designated a national Literary Landmark and continues to host local women’s studies programs and national conferences. The collection is housed in the Josephine S. Abplanalp Library on College Avenue of the UNE campus. Sarah Orne Jewett, May Sarton, and contemporary Portland author Monica Wood are among the writers whose works are featured.
A brick bus shelter in front of the College of Pharmacy includes a marker acknowledging it as a gift in 1954 (though the shelter was constructed much later) from the Reverend Hilda Ives, Maine’s first ordained woman minister, who was a trustee of Westbrook Junior College. Rev. Ives and her civic work is mentioned in other trail sites: the Milk Station and Dispensary (site M17), Catherine Morrill Day Nursery (site S18), and Evergreen Cemetery (site SA01).